Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My Christmas Break


For those of you who haven't already seen these and commented on Facebook ... here are those non-gory photos I promised yesterday.

This is post-surgery. The doc said I had a bimalleolar fracture. And no ligament tearing as I was initially told. So that's good news!

Now going back to the ER, here's my ankle right before I went off to X-ray. I made Sharon take photos. It doesn't look so bad, does it? Just a tiny little bump. Whaaa ...? Not supposed to look like that? The X-ray tech wouldn't tell me what she saw in the X-rays, so I asked if ... there were more pieces and parts than were supposed to be there. She glanced furtively around the room and whispered, "there are more pieces." Oh.


And here's a close-up of the medial surface. Just a tiny scratch, eh? Still, the abrasion and swelling here impacted the procedure. If you want details, please post questions in the comment section below - or e-mail me.


Not this leg! The other one! Part of the pre-op package is a sterile pen to write on the body parts the surgeon is to leave alone. The nurse only marked my left ankle. I was thinking I should write a big "No" on my forehead. But I didn't.


My yellow-orange Oompa-Loompa leg post surgery. How the heck do you get that gunk off?? Ew. I so need a pedicure.

Word is I'll be released today for the long recovery at home. I learned how to use crutches yesterday and then got my own fancy set. Did you know crutches have lots of auxiliary uses, too? Oh yeah. But thanks to my new tools I can go to the bathroom all by myself. It's like I'm two all over again.

So many lovely visits and calls and messages yesterday! I am truly blessed to be so loved. Thank you, everyone!

I just had ice cream. Not my idea - my feisty 77-year-old roommate suggested it when the nurse was in here. I thought about it for about two seconds and said, "Sure! Why not?!" We both are all messed up on our sleep schedules. Do you think Lizz will bring me Chunky Monkey or Whirled Peace at  4:30 a.m.? When I was pregnant with her I used to get up in the middle of the night and eat nonfat yogurt with honey and granola. I don't think they had the ban on honey for expectant moms back then.

Hey, "Non-traditional uses for crutches" and "weird things pregnant ladies and/or patients do in the middle of the night" might be fun topics for Shiny Things. Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails