Thursday, February 5, 2009

Every Buddy Needs a Burner

Sharon was rattling off old stories the other day. For over an hour. I think it was therapeutic for both of us. Most of the events in the stories happened way before I was born (I'm the baby after all). So hearing them helps connect me to my brother and sister - and to the mother who left us all far too soon.

So, as Sharon recalled ...

When I was in Girl Scouts, I learned to make a Buddy Burner. Oh, it was just the coolest thing! You take a large coffee can, flip it upside down and cut a trap door. Then you insert a tuna can.

(Can you picture this?)

Next, you make a cardboard wick for the tuna can and pour in paraffin. This becomes the heat source.

So you can fry an egg or hamburger or whatever on the top (which used to be the bottom) surface of the coffee can.

I just loved it. I made a hamburger on it and was looking forward to making something else during spring break.

Did I tell you how cool this thing was?

That year, our spring break was really rainy. It just rained and rained for days. There were worms everywhere and they just smelled horrible. Well, you won't believe this. One day, I caught Jay and a friend frying worms on my Buddy Burner.

Ugh. Bleaggh. It was so gross. I'm not sure what they did with the worms, but that just wrecked the Buddy Burner for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails