Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Big Boo-Boo

A couple of us have been joking at work about being butterflies ... alighting ever so gently on the surface of projects rather than digging in and questioning as we typically do. Of course, you do know about the potential impact of a butterfly flapping its wings.

Thinking of butterflies made me remember the butterfly costume mom made for me one year. I keep hoping I'll find it because it was really really nice.

Our Girl Scout troop always had a contest at Halloween for the best costume. One year, mom had this great idea. She would make me a butterfly and she would be the cocoon and I would fly out and make an entrance at the party.

Oh, my costume was fantastic – wings of lavender silk left from the mother-of-the-bride dress mom wore for Sharon's wedding, probably. She painted on colorful spots and I think there may have been a bit of glimmer and glitter. I wore a black leotard and tights, slipped my arms into the straps on the back of the fancy wings, then donned fancy deely-bopper antennae. Smashing.

But the cocoon just wasn’t turning out the way mom envisioned. She made an armature out of chicken wire and tried various approaches with brown netting. Finally, frustrated, she said “I’m just going to be the big boo-boo.” So she made a nifty sign saying just that and hung it around her neck.

I won the prize for the best costume and mom won the booby prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails