Monday, March 16, 2009

My Favorite Gift

I always get a little weepy and nostalgic on March 16. At 7 p.m. or so, I'll remember the night I bent over my giant pregnant belly to tie my tennies before going for a walk. Then feeling like I just peed my pants. I remember thinking to myself: "Oh great. Just lost bladder control. Swell." And then: "Oh! This is it!" Because 19 years ago on this night I went into labor. And early on the morning of the 17th brought a beautiful baby girl into the world.

Last night I was e-chatting with a friend and mentioned that my daughter's birthday was on St. Patrick's Day and she told me I should buy myself a gift. Her thinking was I should get a gift in celebration of my anniversary of being a mom. I like this friend.
Oh - note the time in the picture above. I found this picture tonight around 10:40. Freaky, huh? Of course, it got me rummaging around in the photo box, so was not able to post this post immediately, but that would've been cool. I was in full-blown labor at that time 19 years ago. And do you think I can find any photos of the sweet little baby? Not tonight. But I'll keep looking. I think the really cute ones were pulled out for the graduation party display and I'm not sure where they are now.
So back to the gift thing. I went to a kitchen gadget-type party earlier this evening at another friend's house, and with the economy and all really had no business buying anything, yet figured I'd been given permission to give myself a little gift! I bought darling little prep bowls so I can pretend I'm famous and my sous-chefs chopped and pre-measured my herbs and veggies for me. And I bought pink Himalayan sea salt.
As much fun as that was, my favorite gift of all time is the one I've given to the world. I'm unabashedly proud of her, and am looking forward to spending the evening with her tomorrow in Ann Arbor.

2 comments:

  1. I feel a little Irish sentimentality overcoming me. (I come by it honestly as I have a few drops of that bonny ancestry in my veins. [Is bonny too Scottish?]) I also was recently rummaging through photos of G&G as babies for two posters for their classes. It truly amazes me that the best gifts in my life and, as you put, the ones I've given to world are absolutely wonderful and amazing despite me. Happy Mother's Day/St.Pat's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails