Saturday, November 7, 2009

Photo Evidence

Gosh, it's been more than six months since I've posted here. Kind of disturbing that the most recent post has that lovely photo of me in labor almost 20 years ago, below.

Since this is the place for me to tell the family stories, I'm moving the update on the upstairs bathroom/bedroom painting project on over here. Get caught up here first, and then come back and see the pretty photos. And to learn more about my fine home repair skills, read this story.

All caught up now?

Now, you may enjoy the "after" photos. I seem to have no control over where they show up on the page. Sigh.

Eric Schantz is the artist who painted the giant irises here. He's been in the news a fair amount for his public paintings around Saginaw - painting boarded up buildings, Arson Watch signs, murals and more. Just Google his name with any of those key words. I just told him I wanted to eradicate the ugly wallpaper here - and to paint some flowers. I came home from work one day to find floor-to-ceiling irises. It's even more impressive in person.




Here's Eric's bathroom ceiling/wall masterpiece. See? You can't even tell were the giant crater was. The blue on the ceiling is the blue I used on the door. I shouldn't just say it's "blue." It had some really fun name, like Serendipity. In fact, the paint names were key selection criteria.


I replaced the old yellowed plastic switch covers with porcelain ones. It's the details ...

I have no idea what happened to the lighting here. The golden glow is lovely, isn't it? That's the original sink. The cabinet and little shelf were probably installed in the 70s when the last owner bought this house. There's a lot of evidence that they did a ton of work then - like new wiring, refinishing the woodwork downstairs, installing new windows upstairs, painting trim throughout the house SAGE GREEN ...

Current status of project:
Still need to put a doorknob on the little cabinet below the sink. This requires me going ALL THE WAY to the basement to get the drill. Or something. (Didn't John B. do a fabulous job on the little cabinet? If you need a carpenter, I highly recommend him. That man is a master craftsman - and does amazing technical drawings, which is how I first met him through my job. While he was helping me with various projects around the house I learned that he grew up in my neighborhood AND was one of my dad's students. I'm sure there's a story there ... in any event, dad would be so proud.)

Need help hanging the light fixtures I purchased. Yes, Virginia, I had all summer to do this. Lizz knew better than to point it out more than 27 times. They look fine in their boxes, I think. The time will come ... Oh, I might want to have someone help me re-hang the door. It won't shut all the way. (Refer to fine home repair skills and bathroom doors above.) I painted the door blue, by the way.

I think I need to hang the other porcelain towel hook somewhere.
There are a few other miscellaneous to-do's that aren't really worth mentioning. We'll just sweep them under the rug ... oh wait, a rug would be a nice touch, wouldn't it? I saw the cutest Pottery Barn monkey rug the other day that has just the right colors. There's a simple geometric design with a stylized happy monkey face in one corner ... not Curious George or anything like that.

Always looking for family stories to share here ... I picked Sharon's brain earlier this year and have to revisit those notes. It might be time to bring out her memories of the Cuban Missile Crisis.

8 comments:

  1. You? You have piles of building supplies lying around the house? Sounds like you may have picked up a trait or two from Harry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK ... WHICH Scott is this? You'll need to use a code word if you don't want to reveal yourself to my thousands of readers here ... There are at least three possibilities. And what are you saying? To be clear, I don't have piles of supplies lying around the house ... just a few items strategically located for when inspiration strikes upstairs. Nothing on the main floor. Maybe a bit of a disaster in the basement as I'm re-assembling a workshop. harumph:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, but the real question is, have you dusted any of these items?

    Code word? How about Daytona?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooohhh, THAT Scott! How are you? Are you a doctor of dirt yet? Is that why you're asking about dust? I should be insulted that you question my housekeeping skills but I've met me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many Scott's... No PhD yet - procrastinating. I certainly didn't mean to insult you! I've got way too many piles of my own to be throwing stones. Keep up the blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not insulted at all. Like I said, I've met me:) I've met procrastination, too. In fact, I hold a Master's degree in that discipline.

    I'm trying! Go on over to Shiny Things (javamama42.blogspot.com) ... I'm posting daily there. I need clickers, comments and content ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I get a link to this rug??? Just curious...lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just Googled monkey rug Pottery Barn and about 7 hits came up. I guess the shapes are more like big cobblestones or something but you can quickly get the picture.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails